Above and below:- Carew Castle © Crown copyright (2013) Visit Wales
The castle we see today replaced an earlier structure which was a Norman strong hold; although excavations indicate that there was an Iron Age fort on the site prior to this. A closer look at the building will indicate a mixture of architectural styles as various changes have been made to the building over the past several hundred years, most notable are the large Elizabethan windows which were added by Sir john Perrot during his occupation of the castle between 1558 and 1592.
The castle is positioned on a limestone bluff which overlooks the Carew inlet and it is obvious that this site was recognised as a strategic place to build a fort. Over the centuries the castle was occupied by various important people but was abandoned in 1686 and as happens with many of these buildings it soon deteriorated and stone was looted to be used in the construction of other houses in the area.
Copyright © Croeso Net 1998 -