Above and below:- Pembroke Castle © Crown copyright (2013) Visit Wales
The first castle on this site goes back to the late 11th century when Roger of Montgomery built the first structure which was a motte-and-bailey fort. Then in 1189 the castle was given to William Marshal by Richard 1st and William who then rebuilt the castle we see today. As with most castles there have been additions over the years and following the English civil when it was sieged by Oliver Cromwell it was ordered that it should be destroyed with local people encouraged to remove stone for their own requirements and the castle was left to decay.
In the 1880 some restoration work was undertaken but it was not until the 20th century that major work was carried out. The castle was purchased by Major General Sir Ivor Philipps in 1928 and he started restoring the castle which is now jointly managed by the Philipps family and Pembrokeshire Town Council.
Copyright © Croeso Net 1998 -